Xeomin® in Los Altos, CA
If you are bothered by unsightly facial wrinkles and lines in your face, Xeomin® injectable fillers may be right for you. Xeomin® is a popular new dermal filler treatment specially formulated to treat the visible signs of aging in healthy men and women. Located in Los Altos, Mittelman Plastic Surgery, led by board-certified facial plastic surgeon Harry Mittelman, MD, offers Xeomin® to men and women who live in and around San Jose, Palo Alto or the surrounding communities of California.
What is Xeomin®?
Xeomin® is a neurotoxin injection similar to Botox® and Dysport® , and is used to soften wrinkles and folds in the face. Like Botox®, Xeomin® is used to relax frown lines, forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet and other lines and creases caused by repetitive facial movements. The primary difference between Xeomin® and the other neurotoxin injections is its unique formulation (explained below), designed to maintain consistent effectiveness over long-term use.
Why Should I Consider Xeomin®?
Facial expressions are caused by the contraction and retraction of facial muscles that, over time, can result in frown lines and other facial wrinkles. Xeomin® works by blocking the chemical reactions that cause the muscle contractions, effectively softening facial lines and wrinkles.
Xeomin® is FDA-approved and has the same rate of success as Botox®. In clinical trials where Xeomin® was compared to Botox®, Xeomin® proved equally or more successful in treating and softening lines and wrinkles.
The Xeomin® Procedure
Xeomin® is injected into the glabellar muscles in-between the eyebrows using a fine-gauge needle. Results become visible within about a week of the procedure, and results usually last three to six months. Like other neurotoxins, Xeomin® may cause a spur in the production of antibodies due to the body’s immune system recognizing it as a foreign invader. In some cases, this may prevent the neurotoxin from fulfilling its intended effects; however, Xeomin® reduces this risk because it uses fewer additives, reducing the likelihood of antibodies blocking the reactions necessary for a successful injection, in contrast to Botox® and other neurotoxins.
Am I a Good Candidate for Xeomin®?
Xeomin® is recommended for healthy adult individuals who want to diminish the appearance of frown lines. Xeomin® may also be used to treat other ailments such as cervical dystonia (spastic twists of the head and neck) and blepharospasm (an uncontrollable twitching of the eyelids). Xeomin® may be considered an alternative treatment for patients who may have a sensitivity to, or medical problem with, Botox®. Many medical professionals consider Xeomin® to be safer than Botox® with fewer risks in both immediate and long-term effects.
Although comparable to Botox®, the results of Xeomin® will typically last a shorter duration. Xeomin® is recommended for use as an alternative or supporting act, although many patients prefer Xeomin® over other treatments. If you want to learn more about Xeomin® and whether or not you might be a good candidate, schedule a consultation with Dr. Mittelman at the Mittelman Plastic Surgery in Los Altos and ask any questions you may have regarding the procedure.
How Long Will My Xeomin® Procedure Last?
The Xeomin® treatment typically takes about 30 minutes, and you will be free to return to your normal activities following the treatment.
What Can I Expect After the Xeomin® Procedure?
Some patients may experience swelling and reddening at the injection site immediately following the procedure. In very rare circumstances, short-term visual impairment may occur.
Results become visible slowly and gradually over time, and you can expect a week to pass before seeing a significant reduction in frown lines. Results usually last between three and six months. In the case of some patients, more time may be allowed to pass between injections, as overusing Xeomin® can diminish its effectiveness.
What Must I do After the Xeomin® Procedure?
- You will be required to remain upright for the first hour after injection, to keep the Xeomin® in place and prevent it from “running” or “pulling” on non-desired areas.
- We recommend that you actively use the treated muscles shortly after receiving the injection. We encourage frowning, smiling and raising and lowering of the eyebrows after the procedure.
- Exercise should be restricted for 48 hours after treatment. Many forms of exercising, including cardio and yoga activities, include movement of the head area, which could alter and affect the results of the Xeomin® treatment.
- If you wish to apply makeup following treatment, please apply it in upward strokes on your forehead and downward strokes on your crow’s feet.
- It may also be helpful to take arnica tablets or bromelain after the procedure to help reduce bruising and swelling, and the occasional temporary discoloration of the injection site that affects some patients. If you choose to take arnica tablets, take one before and after treatment. If you choose to use bromelain, we recommend two dosages of 500 mg, twice daily for at least three days after treatment.
- Dr. Mittelman will advise you to avoid all pain relievers except for acetaminophen (Tylenol), as well as alcoholic beverages and foods high in vitamin E immediately after treatment.
How Soon Can I Return to Work After Xeomin® Treatment?
Most patients are able to return to work on the same day or the following day after treatment. You may use makeup to camouflage any visible redness or bruising in the area.
How Much Does Xeomin® Cost in San Jose?
The cost of Xeomin® is comparable to the cost of Botox® and Dysport® treatments, and in some cases, the cost may be slightly less than these or other treatments. Our office provides flexible payment offers by means of financing options, and we accept cash, checks, and major credit cards.
Harry Mittelman, MD, is recognized as a pioneer in facial plastic surgery. As a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, specializing in both surgical and non-surgical or non-invasive cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery procedures, Dr. Mittelman provides his patients with exceptional skills and results that last. For more information on Xeomin® or to schedule a private consultation at Dr. Mittelman’s office, please contact us today.We serve the entire Southbay and Bay Area including Los Altos, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City, Mountain View, San Mateo, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale and the surrounding areas.